Monday, November 30, 2015

the nod [2010]

the rabbits are here     with me
  as I pass     another night
in front of this computer
bogged down     (warm and moist)
  in a process
  which is     slow

Erika is     at work    (amongst other things)
  for the third straight night
and the apartment is     starkly quiet

on occasion
  the beagle downstairs
  has begun to     howl
  (seemingly at random)
  breaking     the numbing routine

                                   (someone is snoring)

however (he has retired)
  as the clock     and I     tick
  into the early morning
I'm all but     immersed     in sleepy silence

and I'm growing     growing     increasingly tired

I've begun to     nod off
  off

(. . .) 

if not for the tickle
  of whiskers     at my ankles
  I'd probably be asleep
                         right now

perhaps     I should consider
  going to bed
          for     a few hours
before I leave     to retrieve Erika     at 6:30?

or

          maybe I should     prepare myself
  a hot cup of Darjeeling
                         to stimulate     the mind?

what     to do?
                         do     do     do

(. . .)

I think I'm going to     opt
  for the sleep

(. . .)

  the only problem:
                                                                             Beauregard has decided
he's going to bite     pull     and eat
the carpet
(my mind is carpet     is not)
                                                                             and that's     no good
                                                                             for anyone involved

                                   (someone else     is also     snoring)

oh well
  I guess it's just 
  the nod 
  for me

and     this poetry 
  poetry

(. . .)

No comments:

Post a Comment