Saturday, February 13, 2016

Questionnaire [2010]

(prepared by Paul Blackburn, for Paul Blackburn, in 1962; 
completed by GMM, in 2010, with a nod to Marcel Proust)

What is your motto?
hear all of the real

What is for you the summit of misery?
being subjected to the unreasonable behaviors 
of those related to me

Where would you like to live?
I would prefer to live in a heavily fortified     top floor warehouse loft
in a densely populated American city
with quick access to a thriving art and music scene
and a well-conceived     emergency escape plan
                                    (to be initiated only in the case of a zombie apocalypse
                                    or extreme boredom)

What is your ideal of earthly happiness?
time alone with an intriguing pile of unheard records
and/or
relaxing in a temperature-controlled climate
with no scheduled commitments

For which faults have you the greatest tolerance?
I am quite tolerant of my own raging ageism

Who is your favorite fictional figure?
Alfred Chamberlain

Who are your favorite living women?
Joan Fontaine     Alice Notley     Pauline Oliveros
and my wife

Who are your favorite fictional women?
Gretta Conroy     Maxine Faulk and Hannah Jelkes     Carol White
and that composite Pat and I created     borrowing equally from: 
Janeane Garofalo
Lili Taylor
and Tina Fey

Who is your favorite painter?
Willem de Kooning

Who is your favorite musician?
Living: Rabih Abou-Khalil  Dead: David Tudor

What quality do you most admire in a man?
the ability to interact with other human beings
without any macho pretense

in a woman?
her Rump

What virtue do you most admire in a man?
trustworthiness

  in a woman?
           patience

What occupation would you most enjoy?
NFL fullback

What person would you like to be?
at different times in my life     I've wanted to be
John Riggins
Pete Townshend
Charles Bukowski
Bill Laswell  
           and Merce Cunningham
but these days     I'm content being someone else

What do you consider to be the principal trait of your character?
ignorance (how could it be anything else?)

Which trait of character do you appreciate most in your friends?
reclusiveness

What is your principal fault?
it lies just beneath me
and above me
it is before me
and behind me
to my left
and to my right
it is almost entirely within me
and without me...

What is your dream of happiness?
being on the run
well equipped
armed
and alive

What would be for you the greatest unhappiness?
being forced to ceaselessly relive my brief stint as a steel worker

Which color do you prefer?
pine green     but shit brown is lovely

which flower?
the bule spinster

which bird?
mallard

Who are your favorite prose authors?
Mark Twain     Trevanian     Robert Kirkman

Who are your favorite poets?
Charles Olson     Samuel Beckett (A Piece of Monologue and Not I ARE poems!)
Dorothy Parker     etc.

Who are your favorite real-life heroes?
Jules Feiffer and everyone involved in his Little Murders

Who are your favorite heroes in history?
as a child     I experienced obsessions with Sojourner Truth and Anwar Sadat
Nikola Tesla seems like he was probably pretty neat    
how about the four protesting college students who died on the campus of 
           Kent State University on 05/04/70? (the day I was born)

heroines?
Sojourner Truth was a woman
and I'm pretty sure two of the slain Kent State students were female
also: Barbara Jordan and Anita O'Day
oh... oh... OPRAH!

What above all do you detest?
the music of Toby Keith and the films of Sacha Baron Cohen

Which historical character do you most despise?
is Rupert Murdoch history yet?

Which military act do you most admire?
in retrospect     The Bay of Pigs seems pretty spectacular

most despise?
yes

What reform do you most admire?
Top 5: 1. Gang of Four
2. Mission of Burma
3. Television
4. The Jesus Lizard
5. X

What gift of nature would you like to have?
an endless variety of fresh cheeses
or
whatever my wife would like

How would you like to die?
slowly     so that I might get the opportunity to say a proper goodbye

What is your present state of mind?
properly finished
goodbye

No comments:

Post a Comment