Tuesday, March 8, 2016

engagements (a stretch) [2010]

I've a dull ache in my lower back
there are many conversations
which do not include I
— this includes no one

for some
posturing does not consider the spine
and is therefore incommunicable

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(what is all this sniffing
snorting
and sucking?)


"I am speaking tall     in a stiff language     with a straight message:   
                                                                                    being broke is not the same
as assuming it"

(it is a communication
like the beating of
native drums)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMMERCE

for an other
as through a window
posturing and fear
is assumed
and is expressed
in sequences of
staccato notes
rendered on
acoustic guitar and
bajo sexto


Unemployed Musician Trades Instrument for Soup!
for others
posturing is a concentration of
all that is wrong with them

(I is a wrong) (your is a wrong) (the berries...   
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  
outside
some smoke and communicate
while others
kick at the ground
failing to say what they mean
every Monday and Wednesday
(it will most likely never be a nighttime language)
and what of listening?
as I am still before you
can you recall     in numbered sequence
the notes of my speech?

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

"giving me your back communicates submission     and without a proper stretch     
                                                                                                              can spell defeat"


COMMERCE
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we are all lies to one another — 
spoken costumes stretched tight
across our asses
and engagements

there are those who accent them
with a tilted cap or a cinched collar
or with purple straps (hung flapping texts)
a black turtleneck
and a set of headphones
over the listening tonight
there is an incessant screeching warm cost $1.89 
                                                                                                                  (tax exempt)
a distant unknown music clutched rather than 
                                                                                                                  ingested
and the sound of water in the fountain the cold was 
                                                                                                                  priceless

COMMERCE

and for a few
posturing is a compensation
for work well done

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir -

It has come to my attention that you have been suffering from chronic back pain, and I would like to take this opportunity to offer myself to you in service.  I have been an unlicensed chiropractor for over thirty years, and I have worked with many Communards and professional tradesmen.  I also enjoy chicken soup, and, from time to time, play bajo sexto in a flamenco band.  Please help me.

Sincerely,
I
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...and still more sweet berries     weighted     
fall from your tree
I am aching bent     and mute

loan me your sweet speaking
for my voice
and we'll talk)

"I answered my satanic doctor, jeering, and made it out the window.  All down a
landscape crossed by unheard-of music, I spun my dreams of a nighttime wealth
to come."
— Arthur Rimbaud


my back has gone out

No comments:

Post a Comment