Wednesday, September 16, 2015

The Afterword [2015]

          Logan Chalmers grew up to become a poet, and lived nearly his entire adult life estranged from his parents.  When he was found dead in the dorm room of a college sophomore, the following fragment of a poem was recovered from his breast pocket:

father

I am a not also a not     a spring in the step of another     nope     another nope and
arrival is not I nor a place in which I is free     to pursue not and springing
like sprung is a characteristic     or invisible     or an envelope filled with arrival I

this is the end     a sentence     a sentence of invisible and pursuit and not     I am
not also a springing characteristic     a distinct peculiar step to another     nope
I am also my mother a not     arrived in an envelope     smiling     period and

No comments:

Post a Comment