Saturday, August 1, 2015

(rhetoric) X (labor) : an identity play in one act -- Prelude and Scene One [2012]


Characters:
M - a disembodied, narrating voice
N - a disembodied, narrating voice
T - a poet
A - a body/voice
G - a body/voice
U - a body/voice
CHORUS - A, G, and U in unison

Setting:
Now

Location:
Inside a live-electronics circuit



PRELUDE:
T walks out to the center of the empty stage, turns to face the audience, and recites a short poem.
T
I've not stopped being
any of the Xs
I am
and
this creates me
exhausted and unfamiliar

T exits stage, leaving it once again empty.  The house lights go out.  The overture begins to play.  Throughout the duration of the overture, A, G, and U take turns walking back and forth across the stage, occasionally stopping to make hand gestures toward the ceiling, always with their backs to the audience.  Overture ends.
END PRELUDE


SCENE ONE:
Still lights out.  Sounds of unknown origin.  After approximately 30 seconds, a white backdrop begins to display a series of quotes.  This creates a dimly lit space, into which A, G, and U enter.  G is carrying a trumpet.  They mill about aimlessly, as if in a trance, occasionally bouncing off of one another, but they never make any further attempts at engagement.
G
There are many different types that 
I am interested in.

A
Disposing of "content" is more
difficult than generating it.

G
I assumed that it was beautiful, 
and I was correct.

U
Why was I in X's parents' home in 
last night's dream?  What was I
hoping to achieve?

G
I imagine myself as a single square
in an immense plaid pattern.

U
Why are there so many light and
sculpted beards?  I mean, they're
hardly there.

A
Perhaps the mystery is being 
removed from the process, and this
is a vital element?

G
The "I" is less prevalent in later
chapters.

CHORUS
Am I no longer listening?

G
If I encountered him now, I would 
no longer allow him to pass.

U
Perhaps I should alphabetize the
library.  This could be the 
disorder.

A
If you follow the directions, all
the necessary information will be
revealed.

U
Something is wrong, though it is 
almost nothing.

G
My shoulders are not sharp or 
frail.  I could not crush them in
my hands.

U
What might I see if I bothered to
look?

G
I must resume the search for it.

A, G, and U continue to move about the space, though no longer trance-bound, performing odd solo activities, and occasionally taking notice of M's tale.

M
I stood on the tips of my sneakers,
attempting to balance on the edge 
of the air conditioning unit, and
X was on the ground next to me, 
spotting me, looking up with eager
eyes.  The light had just gone on
in her room, and through the
window pane, she began to undress
before me.  I think X might
actually have been drooling in
anticipation.  I whispered to X
(lying), indicating that she had
left the room, so that I might
enjoy the show all for myself.  
And, as her bra and panties came 
off, I was truly alone.

The three bodies snap back into the cycle of trance-like meandering.

A
(shouting)
The ellipsis is a whore!  Fuck her!
(as if making a realization)
Or... pimp her.

U
(exasperated)
Time?  What the hell good is that 
going to do me?

A
Tickling is a re-engagement with
strangeness.
G
If only this were as easy as 
blowing my horn.
(momentarily pensive)
Wait... that became quite
difficult, didn't it?

U
I wish things were as simple as
the symbols we wear.  I might
pout and smoke.

A
Empty seats are preferred,
especially considering what might
fill them.

CHORUS
If only I were fortunate enough
to not know that this is cyclical
by nature.

G
I miss the team.  We're all just
individual players now; free agents
who will not be signed.

A
Sometimes a smile is all that is 
necessary, or a dumb look.

G
He is perceived as a fantastic 
companion, but I know better.

U
I am too easily stunned when I'm
sitting in public areas.

G
Why do I not want to be right 
and/or good?

U
I might just suck on a Slurpee and
get fatter, sicker, and deader.

G
I need a sandwich.

A, G, and U cease wandering and line up, side by side, backs to the audience, in the extreme fore of stage right.
N
I am the as-yet-unknown entity.  I
have fabulous taste in music, as
well as in literature, art, film, 
fashion, and architecture.  I am
what they all aspire to be.  I am 
a teacher, and an artist.  I am
sophisticated, and I am dangerous 
in more than one way.  I am also
mysterious, and nearly 
unidentifiable.

A, G, and U drop out of line and return, once again, to their meanderings.
A
And the object was something that
should be objected to, too.

U
Green is something to carry the 
weight and moisture, but it is not
a sponge.

A
Another was grinning in fishnet
stockings.

U
There was a welcome mat outside the
door that read:  "this is working".

CHORUS
(momentarily frozen in place)
This is working.  This is working.
This is working.

G
I should wake up tomorrow and get to
the gym, or even go right now.

U
Why can't I seem to reconcile my
contrasting arguments?

G
There is a bowl of steaming clam
chowder awaiting me in the foyer.

A
The other eye is crying at the same
time.

CHORUS
Left and right are not the same as
they once were.  Understanding is
trouble.

G
I occasionally mistake the sound of
her voice for that of a cuica.

A
A dozen young people spoke of their
experiences and lied.

U
He claimed to be burning more 
calories standing up.

A
It was off-putting to see him 
exposing himself like that.

U
The bulk of him appeared below the
belt line.

A
"They" are polite and cordial as 
they greet "them".  What are "they"
selling?

A stands frozen in place as G and U exit the stage.  G and U return with a table and two chairs, and proceed to set them up with the table stretching lengthwise from fore- to background, and with the chairs on opposite sides, facing stage left and right, respectively.  G and U then sit opposite one another, shake hands, and stare blankly into one another's eyes.  A then leaves the stage and returns with a boom-box, which is placed at the background end of the table with A standing directly behind it.  A presses PLAY on the cassette deck and an approximately 75-second clip of Sonic Youth's "Schizophrenia" is heard.  A, G and U listen intently.  When the clip ends, A presses STOP on the cassette deck and the three bodies remain in position.  The white backdrop no longer displays quotes.  The sounds of unknown origin fade.  The house lights come on.  A, G and U remain in place as T walks out to center stage, turns to face the audience, and recites a short poem.
T
some have been happy from
the beginning     smiling
(I'm confusing them now)
I am witnessing the "first"
in relation to all four
A and T exit, leaving G and U on stage as house lights fade.
END SCENE ONE

10 comments:

  1. Dear Matt,

    While experiencing the piece I got a lot more sense for the ambiance of it than any clear meaning. There seemed to be a scattering of possible meanings ping ponging between characters.

    The one line that I can remember as finding most interesting/engaging is "Tickling is a re-engagement with strangeness." What an odd and yet truthful thing to say. When tickled your body both feels pleasure and the need to escape. An odd duality of feeling and strangeness is present within tickling. It even reminds me of taking my mother to see the vow for her birthday last weekend (not recommended). In the movie a man's wife looses her memory and he tries to bring it back by tickling her. In this we see an embodiment of the strangeness of tickling. The wife can either appeal to the pleasure or the discomfort.

    Splitting from that digression... I think a lot of the times the things about art that are the best/most compelling are those that are unplanned. In terms of choreography the visual of you players behind the backdrop of the projector was really interesting. When they stayed low they were in darkness but when they raised up they caught the light with there hands. It might be interesting to play more with projections and players or objects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is actually the beginning of a play I was intending to complete as my Capstone project. Now, I'm no longer going to be graduating in the Spring, so I may just continue to work on it for this class (if the assignments permit, of course). I envision projections throughout the work, so good call on that. Also, I really like your take on the "Tickling is..." line. That line was written as the result of a rather charged engagement with Lyn Hejinian's essay, "Strangeness". I've always felt that the line was provocative, but my personal assessment had, until now, never moved beyond the confines of its source material. Thanks for breaking it free and reintroducing it in a fresh new way. As a matter of fact, thanks in general for your kind and thoughtful analysis.

      Delete
  2. There is something that exists when a narrator speaks while characters perform, and that something is enhanced when the character's actions aren't directly related to the narrator's monologue. I cant name this something, but it creates a stimulation of senses, the auditory understanding and the visual understanding are truly separated by meaning, leaving a variety of interpretations to be made. I really enjoyed your directions for A,G and U. "A, G, and U continue to move about the space, though no longer trance-bound, performing odd solo activities, and occasionally taking notice of M's tale." i find it interesting to include that the activities are "odd" because it creates a different tone than simply "solo". The performers really had a chance to interpret your script for themselves, and i am curious to see how multiple different acting crews could stretch and push the boundaries of meaning. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay, for your encouraging response. As I stated in my reply to Melissa's comment, this is just the beginning of a proposed one-act play, so I do hope you'll get the chance to see the material staged again. I'm quite happy with the interpretation provided by our classmates (thank you Jonah, Emily, and Miranda!), but I too will be curious to witness the direction(s) in which a different cast of actors might take the work.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Melissa in that this piece really created an interesting ambience. It created a feeling of chaos, confusion, isolation, communal loneliness. Each character was in his/her own world muttering their own nonsense. After reading your direction I felt that the players did a good job in interpreting it. I definitely got the sense that they were in a “trance-like meandering.” The music you created for the piece contributed greatly to the ambience as well. I think it served to further de-humanize the characters. The electronic sounds in combination with their robot-like wandering created this strange detached world. The characters’ lines felt like fleeting and unimportant thoughts, like you were able to hear people’s thoughts in a crowded room. You set up a very interesting combination of visuals and sound, there was a lot going on, but you managed to balance it well: it felt chaotic (which I think you intended) but it didn’t feel like a sensory overload to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Emily. I am so glad you appreciated the musical accompaniment, as it is a result of something that I've been working on since 1998 (far longer than my writing). The sounds are created using a technique I call closed-circuit feedback manipulation. If you're interested in seeing how it works, I'll be performing a brief improvisation live in collaboration with poet Nick Compton at the Mix Marketplace intermedia cabaret on March 15. (FYI: our own Jonah and Miranda will be performing that evening, as well.)

      Delete
  4. Experiencing this piece from the inside out as one of your performers was a liberating experience. I feel that when choreography is rigidly directed performances lose a certain in-the-moment vitality—and I encourage you to continue to work with this spontaneity within your future revisions of this work. The sound clip made me curious—is schizophrenia the main concept you wish to explore? Mystery is always a key element in art, especially when working with “insanity” but I think your performance might generate a stronger impact if there was more emotional thunder—and such thunder could occur in defiance of rationality or clearly articulated emotional states. I know schizophrenics often appear catatonic or incapable of expressing—but often the emotions are still there, its just that they are incredibly complicated and cancel each other out before expression is possible. For example, A could yell about self-loathing, while G simultaneously yells about self-grandeur, and maybe U just howls or something... Maybe the "bodies" could start fighting each other...

    Anyway, all that is just going on the assumption that conveying schizophrenia is really relevant to you. I'd love to hear more about your vision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sonic Youth "Schizophrenia" clip really didn't work for me in any way, Miranda. Its use was ill-conceived from the beginning; it was a remnant from a previous draft. I felt that the transition to it was awkward, and that it stifled the energy of momentum that had been building. I'm glad you questioned it here. If I'd been a little more "with it" on the day of the performance, I probably would have thought to extract it from the script altogether. Oh well. Regardless, thank you again for your wonderful treatment of the material.

      Delete
  5. Matt,

    You're piece was definitely interesting. I loved how you played with sound and you had us moving on stage. I also loved how you mixed quotes on a projector, and a group of characters speaking. I wish I could have watched it instead of awkwardly stumbling around. I'm sorry if I ruined the integrity of your piece, because I really enjoyed it.

    Honestly my only suggestion would be a rehearsal, but that's an obvious one and kind of impossible in a class like ours.

    -E

    ReplyDelete
  6. Upon reception of my classmates/colleagues works I became entranced by a single word that I unconsciously associated to each piece. Now I don’t want these words to be misunderstood as entrapments to their art; these words are purely a minimalist’s interpretation of the works. So with this understanding in mind, the word that I intuited from your piece is…

    < Attentive >

    You give great detail to the placement, movement, and sensibilities of your characters and language. I can see the mindfulness of your piece as it develops through itself. The translation between script and execution seems very methodic and I admire your consideration of how the text serves as an indicator of the performance and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete