Friday, January 1, 2016

27 to pass [2009]

morning

snow  steel  and asphalt
grind down rooted slumber
baring a trusted nightmare
to the scrutiny of dawn
and as she fades through
the gauze of an icy low light
I am left prone 
to ponder another confounding day

(later)  the sitting room is illumined
with the wife's washed walls
while the corners of yesterday's news
curl from tea steam
and when the strings of Mingus
suddenly turn tempting
an impulse begs me tread the shag
and I do  with sweating
and a limp

noon

after prying an education from
the dull jaws of mid-day  I am out
prowling down the freshly plowed walk
toward some diversion
  the post office     the video store     the market
or the D.I.A. --
(where once I choked on she-shoveled shit
and spat up fraud onto Warhol and Hockney and her)
but I land wound     ticking at the library
fraught with tomes of Olson and his Black Mountain gang

(then)  I track a trail of my own sweltering perversions
back down through     to humid home
where I am embraced (she is happy to smell me)
and the borrowed books spill sloppy
like me  
             from my hips
interlude
he is not long dead
as some scholars have maintained
but  is still     trembling

night

four sandalwood candles     burn low
making quiet warm
(and) Erika is at the hem
asleep  in chiaroscuro 

we have observed a melancholy
with losing  and an abrupt dead
  we've wept into dusty rags
we've been  late and not at all
and we are exhausted eager
                                                                         for the 27 to pass

No comments:

Post a Comment