Wednesday, January 27, 2016

something more than a self-portrait (for E. L. M.) [2009]

by allowing myself to myself again

I've swapped surgery for strength
tossed language onto the break
cracked clouds from the firmament
and solicited smiles

I've heard the small sounds
brought a lifetime of doubt down
untangled wires and friendships
and founded a family

I've negated popular opinion
drafted nine manifestos
pioneered four ways to walk straight
and wandered warm into icy nights

I've rewritten pages
lifted the wrinkles from tired eyes
given precious animals time
and cast a spell upon the staircase

I've driven to the end of the counting
leapt confidently from unease
drifted into a masterpiece
and performed with the passed

by allowing myself to myself again
           I've discovered someone new:
           Team Boo

No comments:

Post a Comment